Re: Rear wheel oil seal - replacement at home?

To: <Jwhlyadv@aol.com>, <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel oil seal - replacement at home?
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:17:20 -0700
I thought of one last thing:

If the surface where the seal rides is grooved, you may have to sleeve
it--RediSleeve
is one brand of sleeve kit--and use a seal with a smaller ID.  If you just
replace the
seal on a grooved axle housing it'll still leak.  Hopefully, you won't have
this problem.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> Scott,
>
> After you pull the axle bolt the axle on backwards so it sticks out at you
> and use this to pull the hub.
>
> Charles Rice in Glasgow did this recently and may have the proper socket. If
> not order the tool from Hemphills and the Bluegrass Club will buy it from you
> for our tool chest. (been meaning to buy one anyway)
>
> Worst case scenario I have a proper puller and can get the proper socket. The
> nut is so thin you have to place the socket on a belt sander because sockets
> normally have a bit of a chamfer at the end and you need to square it up so
>it
> fits properly on the thin nut.
>
> Remember just like your knockoffs, one side is right hand thread, the other
> left hand thread.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Werner
> Louisville, KY