Steering and Cleanup

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering and Cleanup
From: RAHosmer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:49:20 EDT
First question:

I've been through the shop manual, but am unclear on the sequence of how to
achieve a properly centered steering wheel, and "trafficator" (I know that
isn't correct, but everyone knows what it means). The car is a 62 Tricarb.
Alignment has not been professionally done in years, but, the car tracks well,
doesn't vibrate, etc. I have the adjustable column with a Derrington wheel on a
specially machined hub. The wheel is "off" by about twenty degrees (in other
words
about half of what I could easily get by rotating it to the next bolt (nine =
40 degrees each). The trafficator is off, in the same direction, by about
twice as much. At one time, everything was in proper alignment. What is likely
have shifted? Certainly an alignment check IS in the cards, but what does one
do first?

Second question:

The engine compartment and underside have MANY MANY years of grease and dirt.
While the engine runs fine (smooth, plenty of power, doesn't burn oil) and a
rebuild is not imminent, I do want to be able to "tinker", and perform
maintenance, without turning completely black. What is considered state of the
art
for cleanup, that will NOT be destructive to the old wiring, heater trunking,
etc. I'm thinking more of the sovent/brush/rag approach, rather than steam
cleaning, for example. The car is VERY original, and I want to keep it that
way.
For example, my ORIGINAL fuel pump works just fine (or did until I wrote this -
better go check).

Thanks in advance!!

Dick Hosmer

Check out the new British Cars Forum: