Re: Steering and Cleanup

To: msalter@rallycat.ca, RAHosmer@aol.com, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steering and Cleanup
From: RAHosmer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:51:15 EDT
Thanks very much to all who have answered!

I must confess that I am still unclear on the column innards, and what is
fastened to what, by what!

Following is what I understand to be the case:

(1) The steering wheel slides on splines on the column. Fore and aft movement
is controlled by a collet-type clamp, which may be loosened/tightened by
twisting the collar. I presume it is somehow held from coming completely off,
by
something under the horn push. But, how does one remove the horn push? Is it
released by loosening/removing the three setscrews? Do you pry it out?

(2)  I understand that the stator tube is in two pieces, with the longer
lower one having a slot, and the shorter upper one having a "ridge" that rides
in
that slot, and that this relationship is quite easily damaged, either by
twisting at the wrong time (i.e., something not loosened which needs to be), or
in
the wrong manner.

(3)  I believe the "trafficator" unit is attached to the upper tube, and that
it is retained in the wheel hub by the three setscrews. What holds the lower
tube? If it is the nut and olive at front of steering box, the shop manual
drawing is VERY poorly done. as the stator tube(s) do not seem to be shown or
mentioned. Clearly, to avoid damaging the apparently very weak engagement
between
the stator tubes, they must both be turned together - correct? Is the lower
tube withdrawn during this process, or does it stay in place?

Sorry to run on about this, and thanks for any/all input!

Dick Hosmer

Check out the new British Cars Forum: