Re: Steering Column

To: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>, "Heard"
Subject: Re: Steering Column
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:08:30 -0500
I think, but don't know for sure that the concern about the harpooning wheel
came from barrier crash tests conducted by the feds in the 60s.  I remember
seeing films of such tests years ago.

You generaly don't run head on into a concrete or solid barrier unless
either the driver (seizure, passed out, etc.) or the car (brakes, steering,
etc.) have had major system failure.

The dynamics of real world crashes are all different, and I am sure the
likelihood of harpooning in those real world crashes goes way down.

As others havre mentoined one major variable is the height of what you hit.

I am more worried about being decapitated in a crash or at least having
fatal head and neck trauma from a car or more likely truck or SUV basically
rolling or sliding right over my small vehicle.  I have seen crashes like
this or at least the result of them invloving smallish cars and larger
trucks or SUVS.  Probably a third(?) of the other vehcles on the road are
riding high enough to have a pretty great possibility of doing this in a
major crash.

It doesn't stop me from driving my car but I do try to keep a nice safe
cushion between myself and other traffic, just makes sense.

Anybody know a modification to stop the potential submarining in a crash?
maybe a monster truck conversion for our Healeys?

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

Check out the new British Cars Forum: