Re: Early BN4 Tach Cable Length Question

To: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Early BN4 Tach Cable Length Question
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
Patton,

My advice as the owner of an early BN7 and the former owner of a BN4
"transition" car is to stick with what is currently on your car.  Changes at
the factory did not always occur in sequence, so relying on change points by
chassis # is not always reliable.  Besides, the odds of a PO installing a plug
in the correct firewall hole while installing an incorrect tach cable in the
wrong firewall hole are slim at best.

John
'59 BN7

Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net> wrote:
Moving on from the carb problems and now on to the tach....

One of the "Easy" things to fix on my car was the broken tach cable. I just
started to do just that, and found out that the old, broken cable on my car
was close to 4 feet long, and the replacement cable from Moss was under 3
feet long. As you see below, Moss offers 2 cables for the BN4

021-387 $20.95 CABLE, tachometer, 2"9", LHD BN4 to C.E.38837
021-388 $17.95 CABLE, tachometer, 4'0", LHD BN4 from C.E.38838

My car number is BN4-L-O-37718, so it is close to the switch. That means
Moss thinks I need the shorter cable? Is there are reasons for the
difference and change during production?

The distributor is an original DM6A O 40506A, and the tach is what I think
is a Smiths X.100.3.1 (those are the numbers printed under "RPM")

The tach cable (the long one) in the car was passing through the firewall
directly under the water temp line on the far right side. I noticed that
there is a hole closer to the center of the firewall that is plugged with a
rubber grommet, is that where the short cable would go through on other
early BN4's? Should I send this cable back and get the long one.

Believe it or not guys, I am getting a lot done.

Thanks
Patton

Check out the new British Cars Forum: