Re: BJ8 carb adjustment

To: jbpate@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: BJ8 carb adjustment
From: E KAGNA <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:46:28 -0500
Barry:

>From what you describe re: the piston lifting test, you carbs sound like the
>mixture is very close, if not right on the money - the slight speed-up, then
>the drop and rougher running is what it's supposed to do.  Both carbs should
>do this to synchronize the mixture settings.

There are many reasons for the carbs to not react to the idle screws as another
lister has suggested.  They are basically mixture screws as well, and are
designed to work on the HD8 carb only when the throttle plate is completely
closed.

The first thing I would check is that the idle may be set on the fast idle
screws which act on the throttle shafts.  With a warm engine at idle, with the
choke all the way off (in), there should be a slight clearance between the tip
of the screw and the cam that it runs on when the car is choked.  You may want
to check to see if that is why the idle mixture screws have little or no effect.

Fun, ain't it!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, BC
BT7, BJ8