Re: "Your Mileage May Vary"

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Your Mileage May Vary"
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:45:31 -0800 (PST)
David -

With my early BN1, I typically average around 24-26
mpg in normal driving and can get closer to 27 mpg in
extended freeway driving.  The engine is stock with
the exception that I have H6s on the car, not H4s.

When I first bought my BJ8, it had a MkI engine in it
with HS6 carbs from a BJ7 on it.  The motor was a
stock MkI motor ... with this I got around 17 mpg in
normal around town driving and up to 21/22 mpg in
extended freeway driving.

Of course, now my BJ8 has a proper BJ8 motor (stock)
with HD8 carbs on it.  With that set up it gets around
14-16 mpg in normal city driving and 17-19 on the
freeway at best. I don't recall ever actually breaking
20 mpg.  I suppose when I put lempert's gear in the
rear this will probably improve considerably, but I
don't think it would get much better than 21-23
freeway.

Pound for pound a stock BN1 is far superior for speed
vs. mileage achieved, with mileage much better than
most modern cars!  In fact, its mileage is better than
the majority of modern cars with smaller
displacements!

Cheers,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8