Fw: Cleaning surface before re-paint

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Cleaning surface before re-paint
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:50:59 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: davidwjones
To: Greg Lemon
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Cleaning surface before re-paint

Greg,
I don't know how it would be to sand the panels all down or what kind of
surface you'd have when you were done. I would worry a bit about working the
aluminum shrouds very hard. Maybe others can advise on sanding.

I took all of my panels down to bare metal using a product called EZ-Strip,
bought in gallon containers. Used at 60-75 degrees (low evaporation rate
temps) and covered by wax paper to keep it wet for 30 minutes, multiple layers
of paint and even bondo scooped off easily with a plastic scraper. The stuff
is used on aluminum aircraft, so it is ok for the shrouds. The rest came off
afterward with a hose and plastic scrubber. --One drawback, contact with the
skin needs to be avoided, and I may well be growing extra limbs as I get
older....

I'll send you some pics of the job it did on my shroud, off list.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA