Re: Cleaning surface before re-paint

To: Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning surface before re-paint
From: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:07:11 -0500
Alcohol could be a good thing to use. I've wiped the metal with a
professional type wax and grease remover or a thinner and clean rags,
and in some cases, the primer actually showed rag wipe marks and
fisheyes that had to be sanded out. Is this possibly caused by
microscopic condensation on the metal surface in cold or humid
conditions (cooling the metal as it evaporates therby attracting
moisture from the air?) I've even had it happen at the first color coat
over the primer, as if the color coat activated the stuff from below the
primer. Maybe the alcohol would mix with the moisture and help evaporate
it away. Anyone have any thoughts on this condition?

Dave