Re: measuring toe-in

To: Rick Neves <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Subject: Re: measuring toe-in
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:23:42 -0700
Hi Rick,

I think toe in is usually defined as the difference between front of the
tires & rear of the tires.

Your method may be subject to some errors. Tire sidewall variations,
wheel lateral runout, & 2X4 width variations come to mind. With your
method, any lateral runout will give false readings.

The more accurate way is to raise the tires slightly & scribe a line
around the tread faces.  Hold the scribe rigidly side to side & rotate
the tire. This scribed line will be independent of wheel & tire runout.
Lower & settle the car (roll it forward or backward a bit)  & then measure
between the scribed lines, both front & rear. This is a very direct
measurment & leaves less room for errors.

This is also a good time to check tire/wheel runout by observing the
lateral variation as you spin the wheel. Hopefully, it won't be more
than 1/16" on each wheel.

If your reading of .09 is per side & = .18 total toe in, & is accurate,
it may be a bit much for radial tires. Usually something around zero to
.060 total toe in works well. However, if it drives well & isn't wearing the
tires, I wouldn't change it.

Dave Russell
BN2