Re: Oli pressure and Oil viscosity

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Oli pressure and Oil viscosity
From: Jon McLeroy <jfm@spyderinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:37:19 -0600
Greg and All

Penrite Oil's recommendation for our Healeys is HPR 30 a 20W/60
viscosity.  The older cars do really prefer a thicker oil, when these cars
were manufactured there was no such thing as multi-viscosity or synthetic
oils.

I run it in my 54 BN1 and with an non-rebuilt engine that leaked badly with
Castrol 20W/50 but with the HPR 30 has cut down on oil usage and very
little to no leaking.  Also in the gear box I have Penrite Gear Oil 30 a
non detergent 20W/60, which also leaked but not anymore.  In the
differential is Mild EP, recommended for the early 4 stud axle when the 5
stud was introduced in the BN2 the recommended flavor is Hypoid 80W/90.

If any one would like a brochure packet please furnish your mailing address
and I'll get one in the mail.  Should you have other cars besides Austin
Healeys let me know and I will include a Penrite Lubrication Recommendation
sheet for each.

If I can be of service just let me know.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Jon

At 08:24 PM 12/22/04 -0600, you wrote:
>Rich, 20-50 is better for our engines, newer engines use tighter tolerances,
>so the thinner oil is better to flow into those tight spaces and lubricate
>everything quickly and thouroughly, on the old healeys and other old cars
>with greater tolerances the thicker maintains the oil pressure betteroil and
>provides a greater cushion or film between the journals and the bearings.
>
>I think most on the list run 20-50 or some other thick weight of  oil.
>
>Greg Lemon
>54 BN1

Classic Auto Lubes
12803 CR 1222
Tyler, Tx.  75709
Ph: 903-561-4858
Fax: 903-561-7177
Email: jfm@spyderinternet.com
www.classicautolubes.com

--
Spydernet has scanned this message for viruses and
dangerous content.