RE: cold air box

To: "'Jonathan and Carole Quandt'" <fourqz@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: cold air box
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:05:43 -0500
Hi Jaunito,
The theory behind the cold air box is as the name implies. It is designed to
provide the carburetor intakes with the coolest air possible to ensure that
the induction charge is as dense as possible. The denser the charge = more
oxygen = more fuel = more power.
Although the intake is down at the grille our tests with a pressure gauge
indicate that there is, as expected, negligible ram effect but, we did find
that there is about 4" H2O pressure difference between the inside of the
cold air box and the area around the carburetors at around 100 MPH; so that
would help a little. We concluded that the engine compartment was being
evacuated a little, probably as a result of the louvered bonnet.
If you want to play with this there is a neat little gauge available for the
job.
http://www.hvactool.com/catalog.php3?haction=search&fsearch=EM150&hproductid
=EM150

Michael Salter