Lightened Flywheel and Mild Cams?

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lightened Flywheel and Mild Cams?
From: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:43:08 -0600
My BJ8 is undergoing restoration and a couple of urgent issues suddenly
came to my attention:

A PO had a BJ7 flywheel and pressure plate installed with a BJ8 clutch
disk.  From the research I've done (including searching the past couple
years of comments on this list) I've determined that going back to the
BJ8 configuration is desirable.  So, the question is whether to get a
lightened flywheel (not a competition unit) from Bill Bolton, the Nocks,
Dennis Welch or other usual sources.  It seems that a moderate
lightening will work well and give some more responsiveness without much
sacrifice of smoothness of idle and low rpms.  Now that some listers
have been running several configurations of lightened flywheels for a
period of time, are you satisified with the results (and what degree of
lightening was achieved)?  What are you suggestions regarding a supplier?

As to the camshaft, mine needs to be replaced.  Research indicates to me
that either a stock grind or mild cam will be right for my driving
needs.  What kind of experiences have you had?  Suggested suppliers?  I
have found out that some camshafts are unavailable at the moment due to
production problems.  I need to make a decision within a couple days.  I
am aware that Elgin Cams and Delta Cams are possibilities if I want the
cam reground.  Or Dennis Welch has a mild cam.  Any and all suggestions
and responses are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Cobb