Re: Lightened Flywheel and Mild Cams?

To: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Lightened Flywheel and Mild Cams?
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:01:08 -0800
Robert:

I have a Bolton Lightened flywheel in both Healeys - the BT7 was switched to
a BJ8 flywheel and clutch at the time of installation several years ago -
glad I did that!  I'm very happy with the results in both cars - no real
down sides, both cars have a good idle quality, and both pick up revs
slightly quicker.

If you're going to change back to the BJ8 clutch, now would be the time to
do the whole thing.  Consider installing a rear crankshaft seal kit at this
time, if you have not already done so.

I elected to stay with the original cam grind profile for the engine rebuild
on my currently under restoration BJ8.  The engine has always been a strong
one - good enough power for me.  Nothing wrong with going with a 'mild' cam
grind as many others have done.  Going too far with the cam grind would be
sort of pointless, unless you intend to do other tuning stuff (carbs, head
work, exhaust, etc. etc.) in order to realize the benefits of the modified
cam.

This is the second rebuild that I have done on my BJ8 engine (it's got
approx. 250,000 miles on it), and the cam was fine for a second regrind.
The lifters were refaced both times as well - nothing wrong with regrinding
and refaceing if the shop doing the work knows their stuff.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8