RE: front suspension play

To: "'John Adamik'" <j.adamik@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: front suspension play
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:54:51 -0500
HI John,
What you have sounds like lower king pin wear. Although John Twist insists
that lots of play here does not constitute a problem I recommend that should
be corrected.
Usually the play is the result of water having entered into the area of the
lower king (swivel) pin bush and the play is a result of either corrosion of
the king pin itself or wear of the lower bush or more likely a combination
of both.
If this is the case, replacing the king pin and bush is the best solution.
The Workshop Manual covers this very well.
I would recommend that you have the bushes installed and reamed by someone
knowledgeable in the field who has the CORRECT reamers and have the stub
axle crack checked while things are apart.
I don't know where you are located but we have exchange stub axle assemblies
on the shelf, as to several of the other suspects in the business, and that
certainly makes for an easy job.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com