Re: front suspension play

To: "tammie wall" <whammie@iopener.net>, <bspidell@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: front suspension play
From: "David" <dcrawfor@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:22:38 -0800
Would this Tech article be of any help?

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13

David
'54 BN1

----- Original Message -----
From: tammie wall
To: bspidell@comcast.net ; healeys@autox.team.net
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 9:41 AM

if you run the larger diameter front sway bar with urethane bushings,
you definitely need the heavy duty endlinks.  i found a set of
endlinks with urethane bushings for less than $20 at autozone prior to
open roads 2002 and the endlinks are still standing up to the
additional load.  the bushings are the faster red ones.
jerry wall  BN6
Bob Spidell wrote:

 > John,
 >

 > re:
 > "I replaced the sway bar rubber bushings, but I am not sure how
tight to
 > tighten the nuts.  It seems that the bushings can be over
squished."
 >  > I always use the rule-of-thumb my father (former autoshop
teacher and
 > designer and Ford factory rep) taught me:  tighten until the flats
of the rubber
 > bush expand to the diameter of the flatwasher (or just a little
less, if you get
 > nervous ;)
 >
 > Always worked for me, though you might use a little less squish for
urethane,
 > nylon or really hard rubber bushes.
 >
 > BTW,  I tried urethane bushes for sway bar links but kept snapping
the links
 > (I haven't seen any links that appear to be made of high-quality
steel).

 > bs
 > Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@comcast.net
 > '67 Austin-Healey 3000             '56 Austin-Healey 100M
 >
 > Subject: front suspension play
 >

 > > While poking and prodding the car while it is up on jack stands,
I noticed
 > > that the front left wheel has about 1/32" of play when
push/pulled (slight
 > > clunk), hand on the top and bottom of the tire.  It looks like
the play is
 > > located in the "swivel axle lower bush", (bottom of the kingpin)
as shown in