front suspension play

To: "healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: front suspension play
From: "John Adamik" <j.adamik@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:06:01 -0500
While poking and prodding the car while it is up on jack stands, I noticed
that the front left wheel has about 1/32" of play when push/pulled (slight
clunk), hand on the top and bottom of the tire.  It looks like the play is
located in the "swivel axle lower bush", (bottom of the kingpin) as shown in
the manual.
My question is, should I just replace that bushing (and probably the top
bushing) or is it time to go through the entire suspension and replace all the
rubber bushings.  The bushings appear old and surface cracked, but when tugged
on nothing is loose or has play.  The right front has only a few thousands of
play in the same place, no clunking.
I replaced the sway bar rubber bushings, but I am not sure how tight to
tighten the nuts.  It seems that the bushings can be over squished.
As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.
John '62 BT7