Re: Great Roads - California

To: "tammie wall" <whammie@iopener.net>, <bspidell@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Great Roads - California
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:37:47 -0500
....Done that, from above half moon bay down past Big Sur. Really amazing
scenery. -Never did it in the Healey, just in a rental Continental Mark VIII,
and later in a relative's Lexus SUV   :-(  .
You can't beat it for scenery, and there are places where it climbs and twists
and falls beautifully..
I did however get behind a lot of people who (rightly so) were crawling along
looking at the vistas.  One other deterrent to really tackling the road
there...  The 300-500 ft dropoffs to the rocks just beyond the passenger's
door handle (southbound) were enough to turn me into a law abiding citizen, as
far as speed goes!
The drive up beyond Sacramento, along the American river, up through the gold
mining towns and on to Yosemite is pretty amazing too, but I was fortunate to
go just after the snow had gone out, and before the traffic for the summer
season got going.
Dave J.