Re: Throw-away digital multimeters

To: "Keith Pennell" <pennell@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: Throw-away digital multimeters
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:10:33 -0500
Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
> I have an old Fluke digital multimeter that I use for serious work (If
> it works, it's a Fluke), but the HF cheapies are great continuity
> checkers and fair volt - ohmmeters, too.  Particularly for the price.

Can't help but chime in, as another Fluke owner.  The HF cheapies are
handy for keeping in the car, vacation home, stocking stuffers for
friends with no meters at all, etc.  Keeping one in the boot of the
Healey is a Good Thing.

IMO, the shortcomings of the cheap meters are shorter lifetime under use
(not storage), and doubtful ability to handle high voltage (I wouldn't
use one for anything more than 110V, and would be darn careful at that).
  But for occasional automotive use, it's just fine.

Finally, I don't think anyone ever regretted ponying up for a Fluke.

--
John Miller, N4VU
Not an EE, but used to play one at work