Re: Harmonic Balancer - Crankshaft Damper

To: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>,
Subject: Re: Harmonic Balancer - Crankshaft Damper
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:52:00 -0800
Jack:

One thing I ran into:  My BJ8 is a very late one - uses the rubber damped
pulley/damper assembly with the 1/2" belt, rather than the earlier 3/8".
When we rebuilt the engine last year, we found that the Australian part was
being made only with the 3/8" belt pulley, which would have meant changing
water pump and generator pulleys to match.  I don't believe this problem
would apply to the earlier 29K engines, or any that precede them - all seem
to have the bolted on damper/pulley arrangement.

We elected to re-use the original after a careful evaluation - ie: the
rubber was not deteriorated.  Had it not been in good enough shape to
re-use, I would have had it re-conditioned - there are a few outfits out
there that can do that - I checked it all out at the time.

The Healey restorer here in Victoria routinely uses the Australian unit on
any 6 cyl. engine rebuild that he does with the 3/8" belt groove - no
problems so far.

Hope this helps.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.