Re: Spot Clear Coating

To: Walton Curl <WCURL@mail.mcg.edu>
Subject: Re: Spot Clear Coating
From: dicksonr@uwm.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:55:44 -0600
I would just repaint the entire fender.
I have a couple of bubbles that look like festering zits on my Cobra and I have
to tackle this problem soon too.  Maybe I could just apply some clearasil.
Anyway, I'm certainly not an expert on painting but here is what I have
discovered.  I have seen and talked to a couple of body guys and they do it a
couple of different ways. These techniques are tricky and only for the
experienced, very brave or foolish.  I opt for the latter.
The first, (depending on the brand of paint that you have) is to feather in a
base coat on the area in question.  Then get a blender clear coat and shoot it
over the base coat.  The painters I have seen pull the gun away from the body
near the edges.
If you cannot get a blender then carefully mask the area and shoot a feathered
base coat.  Then shoot the center of the area with a clear coat mixed to specs.
 Take the remaining clear coat and mix it with equal parts reducer.  Shoot all
and a larger perimeter around the area that you just shot.  Then take that
remaining clear coat and mix it with equal parts reducer again and shoot all
and an even larger perimeter.  If you did it correctly then you should be able
to buff it all out when it is dry with no blend or dry marks.

Randy Dickson
Healey Archaeologist
63 BJ-7