RE: Reusable Oil Filters?

To: <austrheamgafun@arczip.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Reusable Oil Filters?
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:01:12 -0500
I used to clean oil filters that came apart on jet engines in the 70's.
They were made of a series of micron filters and wave spacers which
efficiently caught inpurities in the oil system.  We had a large parts
washer that used a very caustic material, heat, and ultrasound to clean the
parts.  Did a great job, but the cleaner material is no longer in use due to
environmental and health reasons.  I would assume that the technology is
very similar in these new filters.  I would be surprised however if the
cleaning cost less than the throw away filters as labor is the most
expensive part of the process.
Pete