RE: Reusable Oil Filters?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Reusable Oil Filters?
From: "Ron Huseman" <ronhuseman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:19:25 -0500
List Members:

I'd like to comment regarding the use of 'reusable' oil filters for motor
oils. There are several companies out there that claim to have either
'cleanable' filter elements or processes for cleaning micronic and
sub-micronic particles from motor oils. While these claims are interesting
to consider, there is little proof of their performance without expensive
laboratory testing. The process of flushing or otherwise "cleaning" and
reusing an engine oil filter element is by its nature, not possible...at
least not to the point that you should put it back in your engine! There are
many applications in the military and industry for cleanable/reusable fluid
'strainers'. These are NOT fluid filters and are not appropriate for
filtering particulates from lubrication oils.

I've been in the fluid filtration manufacturing business for a long time; my
experience is, if you don't know of someone who personally produces and
tests the elements and the oil you're using in your car, then buy the best
commercial product from the best domestic manufacturer you can find and
change it, along with the oil, every 2500-3000 miles. Do not risk your new
engine with an unknown oil-filtration product or process.

My opinion only...

Ron Huseman
BJ7