Sealing steering box

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sealing steering box
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:06:40 -0800
I'm trying to stop a leak from the front plate on my steering box.  It is
not from the stator tube but around the bolts or shims under the front
plate.  My shims are correct and new and I had one thin paper gasket between
the shims and the box.  Slow leak.  I have taken the front plate off again
and I am going to redue the sealing with Hylomar.  Should I use a second
paper gasket between the shims and the front plate?  Should I put Hylomar
between the shims?  Will the second thin paper gasket(.006) or the Hylomar
be significant for the adjustment of end play?  My body panels are off the
car so it is easy to get to now.  I don't want to do this again after the
body panels are back on.
Thanks for any advise.
Ron
61BN7