Jokes on me

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jokes on me
From: "Ray Juncal" <gonzo18@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:23:10 -0800
    I'm striping down my dif for a total rebuild and new Lempert gears.
Everything is going along great till I get to the hub carrier.  I have
fraction, metric, whitworth, and British standard wrenches but nothing that
big.  I'm on a roll, I figure I have this rear end, one for another car and
there's my brothers car too, so I'll just make a nice wrench to fit and we'll
build at least three rear ends with it.  So I carefully measure 2 3/16" across
the flats on the big nut and then I carefully scribe the lay out with my 60
degree angle on some 3/16" plate put it on the mill and carefully machine a
perfect hex.  Next I neatly cut a nice circle around the hex and welded on a
handle.  I figured it might need just a little filing to get a perfect fit so
I tried it up to the nut and you know I was in the twilight zone some
alternate reality where nuts have eight sides and not six.  Who knew?  The
joke was on me.  Hope you got a laugh out of my look before you leap story.
    I had to do the whole exercise over using the 45 degree angle.  I'm
cruising now.  The dif case is ready to go to the stripper and the pumpkin to
the gear guy.
Healey on!
Ray Juncal
Toot toot.