Re: Jokes on me

To: Ray Juncal <gonzo18@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Jokes on me
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:48:06 +0000
Ray

Almost everybody I know has run into this problem at some time.

For completeness there are other things to watch out for on 'big' Healey
rear axles.

1)      The size of spanner you use is too large for BN1s with spiral
bevel, 4 stud rear axles. This requires the one that was first used on
A40 Somerset, A70 and A90 Atlantic. Again with 8 flats.

2)      On the BN1 spiral bevel and the early hypoid, 5 stud both
threads were RH whereas yours would be different each side. The change
took place at the same time as the oil filler was moved from the front
of the 'pumpkin' to the back of the main axle casing.

The 'official' tools had a spigot which entered the casing and kept
everything steady whilst turning. This is particularly helpful when
reassembling. There was even an official modification to the larger tool
that chamfered the outer diameter of the'socket' area to allow the tool
to fully engage the nut when the cupped lock washer was in place.

If my memory is correct somebody in the States is re-manufacturing the
larger version?

All the best

--
John Harper