A-arm and Kingpins

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: A-arm and Kingpins
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:18:30 -0500
   Such sloppiness!   This is a bit different than the other Abingdon alumni
setup so there is a little confusion here.

   I am setting up my  rebushed kingpin units and A-arms with a bit of a
problem, or maybe not.
Per the  manual, it says to install the spring pan to the bottom of the A-arms
first then make the lower kingpin adjustment.
So I tightened up the lower kingpin (screw bushes) to "home" position  and
then backed off one flat.  Actually it was a bit more than that until I got my
.002  feeler gauge to fit between the bushing shoulder and the a-arm but all
appeared to be OK.   However there seemed to be a lot of space on the other
side of the arm, closest to the lower kingpin.  But the action of the overall
unit felt real good.
   Here is where things got interesting.   When I removed the spring pan the
a-arms started to flop around like two wet noodles .  I can see that the pans
were only allowing the bushings to compress the arms on the kingpins so far
until they reached what appeared to be "home" position cause they couldn't
really go any further cause of the pans were holding them in a set position.
( ya,da,ya,da,ya,da)

    My question is. Is this the proper way to do this or should the "a-arm to
kingpin"  distance figure of .002 be achieved first and then attach the spring
pans.   But then will the pans line up with the a-arm holes now?

Oh what fun!     Mark

And yes I did spend an hour in the archives but no answers.  :(