Re: 100 Dash Paint

To: Michael Williams <mewilliams@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 100 Dash Paint
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:04:19 -0600
Hi Michael,

After trying three times with several different paints, I found that
"Krylon # 1403 - Dull Aluminum" worked the best. A couple of other
brands looked OK at first but discolored badly when I later attempted to
clean or lightly wax the paint. The Krylon keeps it's original color
perfectly. I couldn't find the 1403 locally & had to mail order it.

It even stands a light satin #1313, or a matt #1311 clear coat which I
recommend, as the aluminum is subject to easily marking &
scratching. Seymour turned a horrible mottled dark color when clear
coated or attempting to clean. If you clear coat, let the aluminum set
for several days to fully cure before the clear coat.

I would suggest painting a test panel & checking results before starting
the real panel.

Scotch blue plastic masking tape # 06405 1/4" or # 06408 1/2" is made
for masking curves & works well if warm & carefully stretched around the
curves. It can then be built out as wide as you want with regular tape.
Available at auto body supply.

Masking screwups, or oversprays can be carefully be touched up with a
very light wipe with Tolulol on a Q tip, IF the base paint is fully cured.

No doubt there are other ways to do it, but I never got much response
from the list, or the suggestions required full auto body painting
equipment with high dollar paints.

Good luck,
Dave Russell
BN2