Re: Heritage seat kits

To: Sam Marble <samncyna@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Heritage seat kits
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:48:13 +0800
Sam -

Whenever you attach seat covers to foam, you must use a muslin (thin
cotton cloth) between the cover and foam.  With this, it will allow
you to fix the cover without damaging the foam, particularly if you
have to do some repositioning.  The muslin will also allow the foam to
retain its integrity with age, without the muslin your foam may stress
and crumble as it ages.

First, take this piece of muslin and cut it to shape and attach it to
the foam part where the pleats go on the seat.  Then before putting
the cover on (and after the adhesive has dried between the muslin /
foam surface), spray your adhesive on the muslin part only (not on the
foam... you don't want the cover sticking to the foam), then attach
the cover.

What also helps alot is to rivet the bottom of the pleats to the seat
back at the very bottom (although this is not original).  If you do
this it should look great.

I put a lower quality vinyl Moss kit on my BJ8 10 years ago, and it
still looks like it came from the factory.  I guess my point is the
Moss kit will not fit nearly as well as a Heritage kit... so if I can
get this lower quality product to look right... you should be able to
get the Heritage kit spot on.

By the way, the Moss upholstry video is very helpful, you should buy
it.  I should say I am not exactly a fan of Moss motors... so if I am
recommending you to get something from them... you should!

I had never installed an interior before doing this... so I know you can do it.

Good Luck -

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8