Fw: BN1 Overdrive

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: BN1 Overdrive
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:00:00 -0700
Rich:

Something that has happened to me with a couple over overdrives - although
they were later cars, it may be pertinent on the early 100's as well:

Due to wear in the area where the lifting cam acuates the operating valve,
the valve loses enough lift over time so that the overdrive will not engage.
The solenoid arm has to be slightly advanced to restore this lift - a bit
beyond the index adjustment postion that the factory specifies.  Of course,
the trick is to make sure that you don't go too far and burn out the
solenoid.

I've seen some appreciable wear on the rounded bottom of the operating
valves on a few overdrives.

I usually test for this on a driveable car by going for a drive with the
tunnel cover off (and the u-joint covered with a piece of cardboard - use
great caution!) and activating the overdrive electrics and then pushing the
setting lever on the side of the overdrive slightly further with your hand.
If the overdrive shifts in at that point, you've found your problem.

As you always say to us, 'hope this helps'.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8