Brake Master Cylinder Questions

To: healeys@autox.team.net (healey list)
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Questions
From: scotyp@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:48:58 +0000
Hello All,

I'm in the process of rebuilding the brake master cylinder and had a few
questions that will hopefully get a response. My car is a '66 BJ8 with servo
assisted brakes.
First of all, upon disassembly I have observed the cylinder core clean with no
scoring and therefore a good candidate for a rebuild(I have the Lucas kit).
What is the best way to clean the core out and apply the enclosed grease to the
rubber components?
The prior owner painted the master cylinder black and it should be "unfinished
aluminum". What is the best way to remove the paint from it without harming the
metal?  Also, the master had a black collar around it's body with numbers 66303
 P01  AJ18. Any significance to this? I believe it to be the original.

Scot
'66 BJ8