Re: Brake Master Cylinder Questions

To: scotyp@comcast.net, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Questions
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:28:36 -0700
Scot:

Try a hardware store paint remover on the paint using all the proper
precautions.  A spray can of carb cleaner will soften the paint as well.
You may need to use a bit of ultrafine steel wool or a fine scotchbrite pad.

If the cyl. bore is as you say - no apparent scoring, look carefully for any
pitting, it is rebuildable.  Slight staining of the bore surface is okay.
What I usually do is use parts washer solvent and clean the bore with a
cloth taking care not to scratch it with whatever tool you use to work the
cloth into the bore - flush it liberally.

Before anyone sends flames my way:  an old motorcyclists trick with aluminum
cylinders - get it relatively dry of solvent and then put it in a pot of
boiling water for a few minutes.  This will ensure that any solvent etc.
that has permeated the pores of the aluminum is cleaned away.  Make sure
it's completely dry before assembly if you're doing it right away.

I've done many aluminum brake cylinders this way without problems.
Completely getting rid of the solvent / cleaning fluid with the water step
is the key.

Use a bit of the rubber grease on the rubber components - don't overdo it.
Just enough to lubricate the rubber to protect it during assembly.  I've
used the grease with both glycol based and silicone brake fluids without
problems.

Some people prefer to lubricate the rubber and wet the bore with whatever
brake fluid will be used rather than the rubber grease - either way is okay,
but keep things nice and clean in order to avoid contaminating the fluid.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8