Tri Carb Idle Problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Tri Carb Idle Problem
From: olin.brimberry@talecris.com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:34:43 -0400
I just got a call today that my carbs are keeping the engine from idling
properly.  They (omitting name to prevent blame) have adjusted to no avail.
The tech tells me that the floats are not working properly either and there
is overflow on one of the carbs.  He recommends a complete rebuild instead
of just adjusting the floats.  The carbs have never been rebuilt in the
years that I have owned it and the engine was rebuilt recently with BJ8
spec cam.  Due to cost issues, I opted not to rebuild the carbs since they
seemed to have performed satisfactory before.  I certainly believe that the
carbs are the problem.

      1) My issue is whether to rebuild or not, and if so, by whom?

      2) Since rebuilding them is around $500, would I be better off to
just by new ones from Moss for $825?  Is Moss selling rebuilds for that
price?

      3) The other option is to put triple HD6's on there.  Anyone have any
luck with this?  I have not seen any data on this other than this website.

            http://www.austinhealeyclub.co.uk/tech-tricarb.html

      4) I have read where some say they have had nothing but trouble, and
some that have no trouble at all.  How do I get to be the latter of the
two?

      5) Is there any issue with a BJ8 spec cam and HS4's?

Any advise on this would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Olin Brimberry
Raleigh, NC
62 BT7