RE: Problem?? with oil pressure

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Problem?? with oil pressure
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:57:35 -0700
I picked up between 5 and 10 pounds of pressure last week unexpectedly.  I
was getting some valve noise and having trouble setting a carburetor when I
took my own advise that I have expressed before on this list.  Go back to
basics.  Everything else must be 'right' before trying to adjust the
carburetors.  I found several valves with excessive clearances and adjusted
those.  Then, while I had the cover off, I decided to see how many
'geysers' I had coming up from my rockers.  Pleasant surprise - none.
However, I noticed excessive oil around the post that has the small oil
line.  At first it looked like it was coming up from the rocker bearing.
Further looking revealed that it was coming from under the banjo fitting.
The bolt was a little loose and took a partial turn of the wrench (being
careful not to strip the threads).  No change.  So, I  proceeded to remove
the oil line.  There was only half a washer under the banjo.  Fitted a
replacement fibre washer and reinstalled.  No more gushing oil and had
better pressure on the trip to Santa Cruz.  Recommend checking rocker
bearings and fittings.

Oh! Was able to adjust that carburetor after adjusting the valves, checking
timing, cleaning spark plugs, etc., first.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031