Re: advance ignition timing 3000 MK1

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: advance ignition timing 3000 MK1
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:30:25 -0400
Bob Johnson wrote:
> OK, how do you make sure that the vacuum and centrifugal advance are
> working correctly?

To see if they're working at all, you can use a timing light.  Without
the vacuum advance connected, see if you're getting advance with
increasing RPMs (centrifugal).  Then, with a hand vacuum pump + timing
light, you can check to see if the vacuum advance is working.

Determining whether they're within specs would just require knowing the
specs and having degrees marked on the pully or damper that the index
reads against.

> Also, how much "play" is acceptable in a distributor
> drive shaft?

Shop manual?  Sold mine almost 40 years ago, but as I recall, it was
chock full of allowable tolerances.
--
John Miller