RE: Non-Healey: Ford Mustang

To: "Healey webforum" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Non-Healey: Ford Mustang
From: bspidell@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:26:55 +0000
You won't get that much fluid out if you just drop the plug (or pan, depending).
Most of the fluid will stay in the torque converter (some converters can be
drained, don't know about a Mustang).

There are only a couple of ways to replace transmission fluid (if you can't
drain the torque converter):

- drain and refill, run the engine and cycle through the gears, repeat, ...
  (there will always be some of the old fluid remaining)

- do a "flush," with the engine running using a special manifold that drains the
  old fluid and replaces with new in "realtime"

Frankly, I think it's easier/cleaner to just pay a transmission shop to do this.

BTW, unless the fluid is brown and/or smells "burnt," it'll go more than 65K
miles.

bs