fan blade

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: fan blade
From: "Paul Negus" <Paul.Negus@ipl.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:54:23 +0100
Just you believe it, David!

Many years ago I was doing well over 70mph passing an artic in the
outside lane of the M1 late at night in a Sprite, when one of the fan
blades parted company with the rest. There was a sudden BANG and the
worst vibration that I have ever experienced in a car - I thought that a
suspension component had failed and that I would never make it to a safe
rest!

Fortunately, the car did come to a safe halt on the hardshoulder and I
then realised that the car was still shaking - had to be engine related!
I switched off and inspected the damage. The fan blade had hit the
crossmember below the radiator and sliced a  3 inch hole along it. This
took most of the force and the blade did no other damage. Needless to
say, I was still shaking even if the engine wasn't ....

The original fan had failed at one of the rivet holes where it joins to
the fan centre, an obvious stress raiser. The crack had clearly been
there for some time as part of it had rusted along the failure line.

I have taken care ever since to examine car fans regularly for the start
of cracking!

Regards

Paul