Re: Breaking down under load

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Breaking down under load
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:23:46 -0600
Hi David,

The stumbling under acceleration could be as simple as the dashpots not
working correctly or they don't have the right grade/quantity of oil in
them. A slight possibility is air leaks in the carb or manifold
mountings.  Backfire through the carbs would indicate a lean mixture or
retarded timing.

The slack in the advance mechanism, with the distributor at rest, is not
completely unexpected. With the engine/rotor turning even very slow rpm,
the slack will be taken out by the centrifugal weights.

I would check for anything that could cause a lean mixture on
acceleration, especially the dashpots, & set timing to about 36 degrees
at 4500 rpm, vacuum advance disconnected for test. Other checks would
involve having adequate fuel flow clear to & through the float bowls.

If you disconnect the fuel line at the first carb & measure pump output,
it should pump around one pint in 30 seconds. This equates to a flow of
around 14-15 gallons per hour. The flow to the other carbs should be in
the same ballpark or a little less, depending on the plumbing
arrangement.  Make sure that float levels are not set too low & that you
have the correct metering needles installed, marked DJ I believe.

Good luck,
Dave Russell