Re: Bilstein Gas Shock Conversion?

To: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: Bilstein Gas Shock Conversion?
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:58:45 +0800
Dave -

Hope I'm not opening a can a worms here, but lever shocks can't
compare with tube shocks.  Oil filled lever shocks, by design, are
somewhat flawed because under sharp loads, the oil will increase its
resistance to movement (in the shock) and you get a very hard response
from the suspension when you hit a bump... that's why healeys have
such bad bump steer problems.... good or bad lever shocks don't make a
difference here.  Think about pulling the trigger on a squirt gun...
if you pull it slowly, it is easy to pull... but if you pull the
trigger real fast, it builds pressure and the trigger becomes harder
to pull.  The squirt gun can only let so much water through the spout
at any given time.

Gas shocks, by design, are much better set to taking sharp/shock
loads, hence why tube shocks will have a much better ride quality than
old-school lever shocks.  In addition they will do a much better job
of keeping the wheels on the road, stopping bump steer.

That being said, both my healeys have lever shocks on them... I guess
they are good enough for me for the time being.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8