Re: Bilstein Gas Shock Conversion?

To: "Dave & M" <rusd@velocitus.net>,
Subject: Re: Bilstein Gas Shock Conversion?
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:56:08 +1000
Weren't some of the fastest Australian Healeys at AUHC all running Armstrong
lever arm front shocks? They were last time I looked.

Certainly - last time I looked at Peter Jacksons/ Paul Freestones/ Rob
Rowlands cars - they all had Armstrong Lever arm front shocks.

Here in Australia - in the logbook class they race in - they could e.g.
devalve the armstongs, use them as the suspension pickup point, and fit a
tubular shock - if they wanted to. Some people have. Some have even
fabricated top 'wishbones' to do away with the lever arm shock in its
entirety.

Anyone who looked closely at any of these front running Australian Healey
race cars recently - if they were still running lever arms - why would that
be?

If you looked at the preparation of any of these cars - do you think those
guys were just using the 'old' Armstrong lever arm shocks on the front to
maybe save a few bucks.... or maybe that there's more to it?  Rears are
different - in that a set of old 'adjustable' rear lever arm armstrongs are
hard to find - so using a tubular shock allows you to soften the rear
easily. Yes - soften.

Personally - I'm with Dave. Nothing wrong with lever arm shocks that are
well maintained, tightened, and operating within their specification (or
uprated to even better specification).

:)

Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com
PS If anyone has a set of adjustable rear armstong lever arm shocks that
they no longer require - I'm an interested buyer for the back of black &
white car.... contact me off list!