Not Healey but MGB motor problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not Healey but MGB motor problem
From: "Daniel" <tw002crew@shoreham.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:16:53 -0400
My friend, Peter, called for help with his '77B. He took it to a local shop
for an oil change. I'll skip some details, but he was spitting oil out the
front breather tube( side cover) when he got home. They over-filled it. Now
he's blowing fumes out the breather tube. He took off the small K&N filter
because it was clogged with oil.

Today we warmed the motor up prior to a compression check. I put my finger
over the breather tube and watched the dipstick get pushed up by the exhaust
gases pressurizing the crankcase. The compression check gave 30psi on #1 &
#2, 130psi on #3, and 160psi on #4. I also noticed very little oil in the
top of the cylinder head.

Is it possible that the over-filling damaged the head gasket so the
crankcase is pressurized and the oil is not getting to the cylinder head? I
find it peculiar that two adjacent cylinders have the same low compression,
sounds like head gasket and not rings. For a few seconds, the breather tube
belched oil all over the motor, hood and fender, then quit, but the exhaust
gases didn't.

I told him he could solve this by buying a Healey but....

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Dan Werner