timing question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing question
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 21:28:06 -0400
I am having problems with the inductive timing light I bought, and believe it
may be the metal ignition wires that is keeping it from flashing regularly.
I've put it away until I can get a set of carbon wires. In the meantime  I've
had some success slacking the clamping bolt and turning the distributor by
hand. I get increasing revs as I turn it clockwise (started at 650 and went up
to 900). I assume I am advancing the static timing. Is this correct? Car is
running better.

How do you know when you've over-advanced? I did it once and stalled the
motor, then rotated by hand back about 10 degrees and started over. Do you go
until the revs just bump up, or do you go further and back off as the motor
falters. I'm getting good performance now, and would be willing to live with
it, but would be happy to learn the finer nuances of setting the timing.
(Have done all the rest -- points set to 0.15, carbs tuned, etc.).

Also, are there some general rules of thumb for adjusting timing for fuel,
ambient temperature or other conditions?

Allen Miller, BN2