Timing Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing Question
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 22:38:41 -0400
Allan wrote;

"I am having problems with the inductive timing light I bought, and believe
it
may be the metal ignition wires that is keeping it from flashing regularly.
I've put it away until I can get a set of carbon wires. In the meantime  I've
had some success slacking the clamping bolt and turning the distributor by
hand. I get increasing revs as I turn it clockwise (started at 650 and went
up
to 900). I assume

Allan,

Stay with the solid wires, the screws in the dist cap will quickly breakdown
the carbon wires and you will have an even more difficult time.

Move the inductive pickup further from the distributor cap.  You can sometimes
get cross over pulses from the adjacent wires, causing a bad flash pattern.
You may end up having to move the other wires away from the number 1 wire to
get a consistant flash.

Once you do have the timimg set, drive the car, under a lot of conditions, up
and down hills, low and high speed, hard acceleration etc.  You can
change/improve performance of the car but you must change only one thing at a
time.  Advance the timing by 2 degress and drive the car again.  If no pinging
and performance improves, try another 2 degrees, drive the car and so on.
Stop and return to the position of best performance when things down hill.

Increase the plug gap by .002 at a time and drive the car as before.  This may
also cause a change in the timing.  You can also adjust the dwell and the
carbs a little at a time.

The important thing to remember is change only one thing at a time.  Each
adjustment will have an effect on other items, plugs, dwell, carbs, timing.
Have patience.  But above all, if it is runing correctly, have fun and drive
the car.

Fred
63 BJ7