RE: Fuel pumps

To: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel pumps
From: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:56:21 -0400
Fred,

While my favorite tool for Healey work is my 32 ounce ball peen hammer and
there's no dearth of places to use it, you don't really need to hit the body
of the pump itself.  I used to just reach behind the passenger seat and give
the wall where the pump was mounted a pop with my hand.  That was normally
enough to unstick the points.  The points can be cleaned as has been mentioned
and it's not a horrible job, just a bit messy.  What I did was to install a
new one (like the old one)  and have the old one rebuilt (I checked it's
operation on the bench with a closed loop of kerosene after the rebuild, I'm
suspicious that way)  and it lives in the boot.  Now all I've got to do is
switch them out if one fails, a 20 minute job at most without, unfortunately,
much application for the ball peen hammer.  There really isn't much reason
IMHO to switch to a different type.  At least when these start to go you can
usually get a few more miles with a little forceful encouragement.  This is
one of the most common reasons for one of the Healeys in a cross-country trip
to fail and some other driver almost always has a spare.  But god bless the
child that's got his own....

Bill Moyer, BJ7