Re: Transistor Fuel Pump

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transistor Fuel Pump
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:49:10 -0700
Fred,

Sounds like you're talking about the capacitor that was fitted to earlier
pumps (prior to the use of a diode).  It's probably a 47 uF (microfarad)
capacitor rated at 400 volts.  Later pumps have an unusual looking diode
that is shaped like a small cylinder with black and red leads.

In the transistorized setup, the points switch the current to the transistor
(the resistor limits the switching current), the transistor switches the
current
to the coil, and the diode allows the "backflow" of current--induced when the
transistor is switched off by the points and the field in the coil collapses--to
bypass the points and limit arcing (which is what erodes the points in the
first place).  This is called a "flywheel diode" and is often placed across
inductive loads to prevent arcing (some relays have them internally).

Anyway, you can dispense with the capacitor.

bs