Re: Correct orientation of starter motor pinion?

To: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Correct orientation of starter motor pinion?
From: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:40:13 +0100
Alan,

Thanks, but that doesn't explain the difference between the AH workshop
manual and what I found on my car. The manual shows it the way round
that you say is what most cars have. I think mine has been re-assembled
wrongly in the past.
I believe the weak restraining spring, adjacent to the motor body, keeps
the pinion (when at rest) away from the body, and it flies towards the
body when it spins up. That would make the manual correct - so the
bevelled end engages first.

Just wanted to check with Listers that I'm not reading things wrongly,
or that the manual is in error, before I re-assemble it the other way
round to the way I found it.

Any more thoughts, Listers?

In message <ff59076c050810071050495b81@mail.gmail.com>, Blue One Hundred
<healey.nut@gmail.com> writes

--
Alan F Cross BSc LRPS - Heathfield Studios
Photographic Restoration - Digital Photography - Web & Graphic Design