Re: Correct orientation of starter motor pinion?

To: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Correct orientation of starter motor pinion?
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:53:19 -0700
Alan:

With respect to 'Blue one hundred', you are correct - your starter pinion
gear was installed reversed.

When engaging, the pinion gear is drawn into the flywheel ring gear by the
spiral shape of the pinion assembly.  It moves 'forward', that is to the
front of the car - towards the starter body, as you surmised.  The small
spring serves as an assist to return the starter pinion gear to its resting
position.  It is fairly common for the return (or restraining) spring to
break, weaken, of simply get mangled over time - they are readily available
as replacement parts.

I suggest having a close look at the flywheel ring-gear for possible damage
to the teeth, as your starter has been engaging with the 'blunt' end of the
pinion gear, so to speak.  Check that it remains fully seated on the
flywheel, as well.  Not what you want to hear, but if the ring-gear damage
is serious enough, it will need replacing.  Ugh!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8