Re: Trunnion alignment

To: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>,
Subject: Re: Trunnion alignment
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:33:58 +0000
Jack,

First of all, make sure nothing is bent or mangled in the suspension (I assume
everything was OK before you took the suspension apart, but then why would
you start such an aggravating task ;)

Anyway, the bottom trunnion of the half (stub) axle is pretty straightforward;
I'll assume you got that together correctly.  About all I can think of is that
you
must tighten the A-arm bushes (on the frame) and the top trunnion with
all parts assembled (minus the springs) with the suspension set at normal
ride height.  Put a 2-inch spacer--I found a large bolt about the exact length--
under the rear pad on the shock arm (the front should bottom on the beehive-
shaped rubber bumper).  Then tighten the A-arm bushes and the top trunnion
pin--the lower trunnion should move freely.  You'll likely have to loosen the
bolt that clamps the two shock arms together.

If you tightened the A-arm bush pins before you assembled the top trunnion the
bushes could apply a "kink" to the lower trunnion, causing it to twist the
stub axle and throwing the caster angle off.  Loosen everything, then assemble
and tighten when at the correct ride height.  Then add springs.

bs