RE: Current Registration

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Subject: RE: Current Registration
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:58:55 -0700
John, you have asked an age-old question -- one that doesn't have a good
answer, and one that sometimes drives me nuts.  Examples of current reality:

HBJ8L/31111 has donated its complete drive train to a Jule frame.  External
panels from HBJ8L/36264 have been used to complete this car, and it is now
registered as 36264.  For registry purposes, I have to consider the
"surviving" car as 36264, although plenty of explanatory notes have to be
included in the registry record.  The owner of both cars has told me he
plans to acquire additional shrouds and fenders and eventually register the
result as 31111.

Another example is 39818 (number stamped into the right front shock tower).
At one time, this car was registered as HBJ8L/28411.  HBJ8L/34666 was
scrapped long ago due to excessive rust, but the body and VIN plates were
retained, and I was told by the owner that when 39818 is restored it will
get the body and VIN plates of 34666.  Actually, a car with VIN HBJ8L/34666
was sold on eBay about two years ago, but it did have the body plate
corresponding to 39818.  In many cases, which number gets put on a rebuilt
car for identification depends on which number has a valid title available
for it.

Sometimes, the records are not as nice and neat as we would hope them to be.
It's very unfortunate that the only permanent place on the car that the
factory marked the identity was on that very vulnerable shock tower, and
that the Car Number and body plates are so easily removed, lost, or
exchanged with other cars.

At least one BJ8 was put together in the UK out of new spare parts by John
Chatham after the last BJ8 (43026) left the factory.  I have a magazine
article about this car, with photos, dating from 1971.  The car was for sale
at that time.  It was Colorado Red with tan interior.  I would like to know
what kind of "VIN" was applied to the car, and so would very much like to
find it.  So far, it has eluded me.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry