Re: Tire Aging & Replacement

To: Andy Schwarz <aschwarz11@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Aging & Replacement
From: skip <tfsbj7@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:45:02 -0400
I had some experience in the late 60's early 70's with my 63 BJ7 that
might be relevant.   60 spoke wheels can not tolerate wider wheels.  I
(foolishly) decided to put wider tires on my standard spoke wheels....
short version: 3 retruing and 4 new wire wheels later, it finally
twigged for me that the wider tires were gripping much to much for the
poor wheels... they wanted the tires to break free and skid.   Instead,
the tires gripped, and the spokes gave out.

Another experience (observed actually, not first hand experienced
thankfully) with Michelin XZX... they seemed to work fine when they were
new, but older versions do not do very well in water.  Any rain on the
road and they tend to be quick to break free... If you like skidding
around a lot, then the MIchelin might be ok.   However, yet another
experience (again thankfully an "observed" experience) a friend of mine
had one of those Michelins XZX's break apart at speed... tore apart the
rear wing... (luckily the tire that failed was on the rear, no telling
what bad things might have happened if it were a front tire that broke
apart)

Message 1:  Get new tires  (13 yr old past performance is DEFINITELY no
guarantee of future performance... get rid of those old tires!)

Message 2:  If you wish wider tires, get a stronger wheel.   (I use both
72 spoke wheels and knock-off equiped mag wheels... I like both of
them... and I do like driving with wider tires.)

Alternative Message 2:   Don't get wider tires... (but do get new ones)

In any case, you will absolutely enjoy driving in the Northwest during
September... glorious!!!!